Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mike "Doc" Emrick


 Now that the battle of the Hudson river has come to a close, I wanted to talk about something other than the athletes that determined the outcome of the series.  Mike "Doc" Emrick was the play by play announcer for the entire Eastern Conference Finals.  This is nothing new for Doc as he has done many big games before.  Watch the video I have posted above first with your volume off.  Then with it on.  Take a listen to the Hall of Famer describe the frantic action.  Yes, I said Hall of Famer. Doc is in the the hockey Hall of Fame having played zero games in the NHL, that's how special he is.  The first hockey play by play announcer to do so.  I find it to be amazing what a difference it makes with the sound off and then on.  All of that is because of Emrick.

As the goal is scored Doc says "They score! Henrique! It's over!".  Something so simple yet if you gave me 100 attempts to say something different, or make it more exciting I would fail.  I think anyone would.  Mike Emrick is my favorite play by play guy in any sport, I am looking forward to his calls in this years Stanley Cup Finals as well, go Devils!

1 comment:

  1. I also love how he knows when to be quiet and let the moment do the talking.

    ReplyDelete